This documentary has aired on ABC-TV, Hallmark Channel and on several cable stations.
|Produced by Mennonite Media as a special presentation of the National Council of Churches USA.
fighting the stigma...
working for recovery...
We invite you to enter into the lives of persons living with mental illness.
We challenge you to take up the cause of fighting the stigma that they face.
We encourage you to read what experts in the field of mental health and clergy have to say as they look at recovery and how communities can join in the effort to create a truly healing and hopeful environment.
This website is an extension of the Shadow Voices documentary – with additional interviews, stories, comments and resources. This website is especially helpful for those who:
- have a family member with a mental illness
- are pastors, social workers, police officers, or any others who encounter people with mental illnesses in their work
- wish to be more aware of how to be a support to those with mental illnesses, whether that is a neighbor or a member of your church
- are students doing research on mental illness
- are interested in reading incredible stories of courage as people do the hard work of living with and recovering from mental illness
There is a considerable body of knowledge now that tells us that even full, robust parity will probably cost less than 1-4% to implement nationwide. The absence of doing that can only be described as discriminatory. We have effective treatments available, we have a lot of people who need these treatments, and unfortunately they can’t get them often because of a financial barrier.
~ Thomas Bornemann [Read More ...] [Other Stories]