This documentary has aired on ABC-TV, Hallmark Channel and on several cable stations.
|Produced by Mennonite Media as a special presentation of the National Council of Churches USA.
fighting the stigma...
working for recovery...
We invite you to enter into the lives of persons living with mental illness.
We challenge you to take up the cause of fighting the stigma that they face.
We encourage you to read what experts in the field of mental health and clergy have to say as they look at recovery and how communities can join in the effort to create a truly healing and hopeful environment.
This website is an extension of the Shadow Voices documentary – with additional interviews, stories, comments and resources. This website is especially helpful for those who:
- have a family member with a mental illness
- are pastors, social workers, police officers, or any others who encounter people with mental illnesses in their work
- wish to be more aware of how to be a support to those with mental illnesses, whether that is a neighbor or a member of your church
- are students doing research on mental illness
- are interested in reading incredible stories of courage as people do the hard work of living with and recovering from mental illness
There's unfortunately a significant number of our churches that still see mental illness as a result of a moral or spiritual failure. Some see it as having to do with demon possession. People are encouraged to stop taking their medication often with disastrous results. And the churches really are not educated about mental illness, that it is an illness of the brain. That it is a chemical imbalance.
~ Susan Gregg-Schroeder [Read More ...] [Other Stories]